Center Jean Monnet
JEAN MONNET CENTER OF EUROPEAN POLITICS
The Jean Monnet Center of European Politics was created in October 2006
The Center’s Mission is to stimulate the academic interest of both students and lecturers of the NBU in regards to:
- the nature, evolution and functioning of the European Union;
- the institutional development of the European Union and the role of the supranational institutions in implementing policies of the countries-members;
- the strategy of expansion of the new boundaries of the European Union;
- the position and role of the Union as a global participant in the world politics and economics.
The main objective of the Jean Monnet Center of European Politics is to develop research and development programs in the field of institutional development of the European Union and the specificity of management, the nature, role and evolution of the Single European Market and the common policies, the dynamics of the European Economic and Monetary Union and the strategy of its expansion. The inseparable part of its main objective is the establishment of the values of solidarity, subsidization and regionalization within the European context and the raising of the interest and the civil sensitivity of the academic society to the challenges of European integration and the place Bulgaria merits in the integration mechanism.
Training and teaching
The Jean Monnet Center has developed and offers Master program European Governance. They play a significant role, in conformity accordance with the Bologna Process and the Lisbon Strategy for development, in the dynamics and extension of research of the EU, creating opportunities for exchange of ideas, lecturers and students and the participation in European thematic research networks.
The Center takes part in the following major projects and thematic research networks:
2012 – 2014. Lifelong Learning Programme, Jean Monnet Programme – Key Activity 1 “Absorption capacity of the EU pre-accession programs in the Western Balkan countries “.Institution Coordinator of the Project University of Rijeka.
- 2010-2013, “Linking Interdisciplinary Integration Studies by Broadening the European Network”, based on Decision N 177316-LLP-1-2010-1-DE-ERASMUS-ENWA, of the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency , European Commission, on the award of a grant to support the ERASMUS Academic Networks Programme within the Lifelong Learning Programme. UNIVERSITY OF COLOGNE, Institute of Political Science and European Affairs, Jean Monnet Chair, Cologne - Academic coordinator, Jean Monnet Center of European Politics, New Bulgarian University, Sofia, Bulgaria -Partner coordinator.
- 2009 – 2011, “South-Eastern European developments on the administrative convergence and enlargement of the European Administrative Space in Balkan states", based on Decision no. 2009 -2946 / 001 001 of the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency on the award of a grant to support the Jean Monnet Programme – Key Activity 1 within the Lifelong Learning Programme. NATIONAL SCHOOL OF POLITICAL STUDIES AND PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION , Bucharest, Romania. - Academic coordinator, Jean Monnet Center of European Politics, New Bulgarian University, Sofia, Bulgaria -Partner coordinator.
- 2007-2010, Lifelong Learning Programme (LLP), Erasmus Thematic Network (SENT Project, Network of European Studies), coordinating institution, University TOR VERGATA, Roma, Italy.
- 2008-2011, „La gouvernance locale dans l’Union européenne: vers un modèle de citoyenneté locale européenne?”, financed by the Committee of the Regions in Brussels, led by a consortium of 13 French universities and 27 national academic units of the countries – members of the EU.
- 2007-2008, "Europe on Wheels" - The traveling information exhibition around through 27 Bulgarian towns with the purpose of acquainting the local public with the process of the European integration of Bulgaria and Bulgaria's path to the European Union.
- 2008-2010, Life Long Learning Programme (LLP), Grundtving 1, 2008 - 3427 (presentation of NBU at the first partners meeting);
- 2008-2010, Life Long Learning Programme (LLP), Grundtving 1, 2008 - 3427 (valorization meeting)
Jean Monnet Conferences
- “European economic governance in an international context” (Brussels, 24-25 November 2011)
- “Evolutions in the Southern Mediterranean: Implications for the European Union” (Brussels, 30-31 May 2011)
- « Jornadas de debate, PROYECTO ¿EUROPA? La Intedration Europea : Luces y Sombras », (Oviedo, April, 2011). Programme
- “The Eastern Partnership and the Europe 2020 Stategy: achievements and future “ (Brussels, 8-9 December 2010).
- “The European Union after the Treaty of Lisbon” (Brussels, 25-26 May 2010)
- “The Role of Education and Training in the New European Economy” (Madrid, 25-26 January 2010)
- “20 Years of Support for European Integration Studies: From the Jean Monnet Action to the Jean Monnet Programme” (Brussels, 7-8 September 2009)
- “A Europe of achievements in a changing world “(Brussels, 24-25 november 2008)
- “The European Union and the Balkans” (Zagreb, 23-24 june 2008)
- “The European Union and World Sustainable Development “(Brussels, 5 - 6 November 2007)
- “The Reform Treaty and the EU's Future “(Brussels, 20-21 September 2007)
- “Europe's challenges in a globalised world “(Brussels , 23-24 November 2006)
- International Conference: “National and European Values of Public Administration in the Balkans” , Bucharest, Romania, July 15-16, 2011, Programme
- Workshop: “European Administrative Space. Balkan realities”, Rijeka, Croatia February 2011, Programme
- « Incontri seminariali di aggiornamento su l’Unione Europea nell’età dell’€uro” Bruxelles, 24 - 25 Giugno 2010, Comité économique et social européen.
- “SENT Final General Assembly”.Rome, 1 – 3 July 2010.
- “Public Administration in the Balkans – from Weberian bureaucracy to New Public Management” Athens, Greece,5 – 6 February 2010.
Margarita SHIVERGUEVA, Jean Monnet Chair Holder, Member of the Selection Board meeting for the annual Doctoral Theses Competition 2009 of the Committee of the Regions on “Local and regional authorities in the European Union” , November 9, 2009, Brussels, Committee of the Regions.
NBU, 1618 Sofia, 21 Montevideo Street
Building 2, office 601
Phone: 359 2/ 8110 602
Associate Professor Margarita Shivergeva, Ph.D.
Assistant in Chief Ivan Nachev, Ph.D.